Autumn Half Term Tournament News
The first half of the Autumn term for 2016 has passed and our BETA players have been busy working hard on the practice court and competing in tournaments around the county and region. Catch up with all the news below.
Tournaments for the term so far culminated in the half term with events in Totteridge, Cuffley, Dunstable, Bath, Loughborough as well as a Tennis Europe in Gran Canaria. Reece Farrow and Danny Anderson provided the highlight of the week with a win in the U14 boys doubles event at Totteridge. This was the 3rd title for Reece and Danny this year who are proving to be a formidable doubles team. Reece also played some solid tennis in singles, making the quarter finals in both the U14 & U16 events. In the county events in Dunstable and Cuffley, Joseph Playfoot finished runner up in the U14 singles while Cian Murphy came 3rd in the U12 singles respectively.
Sophia Mezzone competed at the national event in Bath on the second weekend of the half term and won her way through to the quarter-finals before losing in a tight encounter to Charlotte Russell of Gloucestershire. Sophia will be competing more often at national level over the Winter season and will be looking to increase her national ranking from #35 in the U14 age group into the top 20 in the country with almost 12 months still left in this age group. Joel Pierleoni was also in action this past week in a Tennis Europe event in Gran Canaria. After multiple delays due to bad weather, Joel got through to the quarter-finals where he lost to eventual winner Pablo Ruiz from Spain. The result will further increase Joel’s European ranking to #140 in the U14 category and #23 for players born 2003 or later.
Other notable results from the first half of the Autumn term:
- Anna Popescu competed in her first singles main draw at pro tour level in Nottingham in September. Anna needs two more results to obtain her first pro world ranking after she gained her first WTA point in Surbiton in June.
- Joel Pierleoni competed most weekends in September/October, winning an U18 country event, coming runner up in a U16 regional event and making a semi-final in an U18 regional event.
- Reece Farrow won a county U14 event at Gosling and then went on to represent Hertfordshire in the U14 age group at the 12 counties event in Corby. Reece helped Herts win their group and gain promotion to division 1 for next year. Nicholas Blagg and Jeevan Samra also represented their counties at this event, Bucks and Beds respectively.
- Jeevan Samra won and came runner up in 2 club level events in October.
- Merval Bekteshi become the inaugural U12 Berkhamsted Club Champion during the 3rd annual Junior Club Championships (in previous years events were only held for mini-tennis players).
Congratulations to all players for the results achieved this half term which is down to the great work each and everyone of you are doing day in day out during training! The Winter series events will continue in the run up to Christmas and we wish all our players the best of luck!